We went in for our ultrasound today with lots of mixed emotions - relief that it was finally here, anxiety over the potential results, excitement over seeing the little one squirm around, and hope that everything was going to work out just fine.
When we were finally seen, the technician went through a barrage of photos and measurements, reassuring us that it didn't matter that we had no idea what we were looking at! He moved so quickly through the scan that we were amazed. This was the sequence of events. It took place in about 8 seconds:
Tech: Raise your shirt please.
Me: Okay.
Tech: (ultrasound goop everywhere and scope on belly) Do you want to know the gender?
Us: Yes!
Tech: It's a boy!
Honestly, within the first 5 seconds of the exam he told us! It was so fast I laughed!
We were able to see each kidney, all parts of the brain, the stomach, cord, bladder, and heart. His arms are reeeeally long! His heart rate was a little slower today, 126, which is apparently just fine. Anywhere between 110 and 160 is A-OK! LJ was turned completely upside-down and backwards today, so it was really difficult to get a good peek at his face. The tech all of a sudden smacked me with the scope a few times (a little warning would have been nice!) and got him to move a little so we could get a good photo of at least part of his face.
After the initial exam, the tech sent the doctor in. She went through another basic scan and was really cute; she asked if it was a boy pumpkin or a girl pumpkin, and then talked to him as she was trying to find his face!
Some things I learned today:
- The nose bone, neck fold, and limb proportions are three major checkpoints for Down's Syndrome
- Heart defects are the most prominent/likely abnormalities in a child with Down's Syndrome
- Even at 17 weeks you can see every single bone, even though they haven't fully calcified yet
Long story short, she cut our risk factor in half after the exam today. I like her approach: we are now at .5% risk that LJ would have Down's Syndrome. The only factor left is a heart scan, which we'll go back in for in September. His heart is too little right now to be able to accurately dismiss any signs of weakness/defects.
Jack punked me PERFECTLY!! He made me swear to secrecy, that we weren't going to tell anyone the gender. I played the game, kept the secret, and tried to think of ways to wear him down over the next few weeks. He got home from rehearsal, gave me the third degree about whether or not I kept the secret, and then looked me square in the eye as he picked up the phone, called his family, and said, "By the way, it's a boy!" I must have punched him 100 times! It's fair play though... payback for my making him wait 14 weeks to tell anyone we were expecting! It was so fun to share our news with everyone today, especially at TWUMC. We have the most amazing group of family and friends!
SUCH a relief today. I feel better today than I have felt since we found out in May. We have had so many people watching and hoping and praying for good news and good health. I know guardian angels were all around us today and I am so thankful for the good news. It is all in His hands and I'm grateful and humbled.
Linda sent this scripture in a text this morning, and it was a great comfort. Our paths are already written, already planned, already blessed, and already protected!
Lord, you have assigned me my portion and my cup,
you have made my lot secure.
The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places,
surely I have a delightful inheritance.
-- Psalm 16:5-6
No comments:
Post a Comment