7.13.2009

A great day!


We had our down's syndrome/spina bifida screening today. We had a really unique experience in the office...

Our regular ultrasound technician was helping re-certify another technician in the measuring of the nuchal fold (area near the neck). So we had an extended opportunity to see LJ live and in concert today! When we first got a peek, I couldn't believe how much bigger everything was. You can see all the little bones of the spine, hands and feet, the little belly, and even the heart and brain. The profile looks like a real (tiny) person! At first glance, the baby was asleep with both hands crossed over the face. It took quite a bit of prodding and jostling to get baby to move to the position conducive to taking the measurements. Stubborn like daddy! After about half an hour, we got to see a gymnastics class! Twists and turns, barrel rolls, stretching, and lots of movement. They finally got a great measurement and we got some amazing photos to bring home. Just as they finished, the baby fell back to sleep with arms crossed over the face again. We'll get the results of the screen when we see our doctor again in 2 weeks. Our next ultrasound will be August 31st, when we'll find out the gender!

We learned a lot from listening to the technicians discuss the process today. I will volunteer to be the "guinea pig" ANY day knowing how neat it is to spend a little extra time watching the best kind of home video!

So the photos are posted, and the cat is out of the bag. We are too blessed and too excited to keep this a secret anymore! At this point there is no cause for worry or concern... everything looks strong, healthy, and safe. Friends and family, please feel free to spread the word so others can share our excitement! God is so good!


2 comments:

  1. Jessica,

    I am so incredibly excited for you! Please know that you will be in my prayers daily. I understand how hard it is to let yourself be excited, and to let your heart feel what it "should" when you've gone through what you have. You can't help how you feel, and you just have to handle things the way you can, and rely on God for the rest.

    I will pray for God's peace and comfort for you as you approach January!

    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rhonda,

    Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement... it truly is the most bizarre mix of emotions (as you are well-familiar with). I am so thankful for an incredible network of friends and family who have lots of perspective.

    I follow Kate's gorgeous pictures regularly, she is just beautiful. In some pictures, she is the spitting image of your husband, and sometimes she looks like a tiny glowing version of you. I know she is the light of your life, and each time I think of your family I am encouraged and reassured that God is so good!

    I am excited to share more with you as things progress! I am glad you stopped by my little blog! (you were the inspiration for starting to blog, by the way. I always enjoy peeking in on yours!)

    XO,

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete